Safe Routes to School
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a federally funded initiative focused on pedestrian safety through the 5 E’s:
BLEND carefully monitors SRTS through student travel tally data and parent surveys to identify how students commuting to and from school as well as the parental concerns and opportunities for development. From this data and reports are generated that identify strategies to increase the number of children safely walking and biking to school.
- Student travel tally data (collected in September and May)
- Traffic and route assessments
- Parent survey data (collected in September and May)
BLEND works closely with schools to implement a customized education plan for each district which may include:
- Community education: bike rodeos and helmet safety events
- Parent education
- Family bike or pedestrian classes
- School route maps
- Helmet safety information
BLEND and law enforcement develop a safety education campaign that address enforcement solutions that promote safe driving, walking and biking including:
- Identify problematic and intersections
- Crossing guard training/implementation
- Uniform and equipment in compliance with MN law
- Increased law enforcement presence
- Speed and driver compliance signs that free up law enforcement
BLEND, in conjunction with area schools, will initiate special events, contests and activities to build interest and enthusiasm.
- International Walk to School Day celebrations in May and October
- Alternative bus drop off locations to encouraging walking
- Walking school buses
- On-campus walking and activities
BLEND will assist cities or school districts with taking the evaluative data gathered in the schools to apply for applicable grants and funding opportunities.
Safe Routes to School programs help create safe, convenient and fun opportunities for students to walk and bike to school. BLEND helps schools and communities establish and sustain SRTS programs ultimately increasing the number of students walking, biking or rolling to school.
- Strategically placed speed feedback signs to increase driver awareness.
- Expanded local safety patrols including student safety patrols.
- Offered a Fit Kids club pledge program.
- Increased the number of Central Minnesota Bike Rodeos with helmet fittings and discounted helmets provided by the CentraCare Health Foundation.
- Sponsor an annual training local educators at a 10-week bike and pedestrian curriculum called Walk! Bike! Fun!
- Provided schools with walking, biking and physical activity programs and incentives.
- Created the “No Bruising – Just Safe Cruising” campaign to raise driver awareness and student involvement in walking or biking to school.
- National Walk & Bike to School Day event celebration (October and May) and incentives.
- Central Minnesota cities awarded Safe Routes to School infrastructure grants after BLEND assistance.
Share your Story
BLEND wants to hear your Safe Routes to School story! What are you doing to encourage your family to get more physical activity into your daily routine? By sharing your story, we will educate and inspire other BLEND champions around the state! Use our web form to submit your story, and we will enter your name into a drawing to win a $50 BLEND prize.