A soaring obesity rate among all age groups is one of the biggest public health challenges we have faced as a country. The increasing obesity rate seen in our younger age group is perhaps the most troubling. Today, nearly one third of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. That breaks down to more than 23 million kids and teenagers.
In 2010, President Obama proclaimed September as National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, spurring action within communities, schools, and homes across the United States. According to President Obama in a statement released by the Office of the Press Secretary. “During National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, we recognize the outstanding work our businesses, communities, and families are doing to help us meet our responsibilities to our children. I urge all Americans to help us meet our goal of solving the problem of childhood obesity within a generation.” Click to read the proclamation in its entirety: Presidential Proclamation of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month.
So what can you do? Here is a list of five things you can do right now that will impact our Mission at BLEND to help reduce the childhood obesity epidemic:
- Tell your friends and the parents of your children’s friends about BLEND. Get in the habit of sharing our newsletter with at least one new person each time it arrives.
- “Share” our Facebook page to your personal profile and/or post a link to our Fan Page on other pages of which you are a part. Help us spread the word.
- Read through some of the exciting ideas, toolkits, and events happening around Childhood Obesity Month on the Healthier Kids, Brighter Futures website.
- Mark your calendar for National Day of Play September 24. and National Family Dinner Night September 26. Start thinking about what you can do as a family, and watch for upcoming blog posts and information on these dates.
- Ask your child’s school if they have something special planned this month. Ask how you can help provide a healthy learning opportunity for your child’s classroom during the month of September. Get the kids involved in planning!
Does your school or community have some events planned in September in recognition of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month? Please post in the comments.