Ever wondered what the NuVal Score of your favorite smoothie is? Maybe you’d like help scoring entire meals? One Nuval blogger, “Trading Up Downtown” frequently writes about the NuVal scores of your favorite foods, meals, and even smoothies! In her quest for “Living on the nutritious side of the city” and helping others successfully use the NuVal Scoring System, BLEND has been given permission to repost this great recipe.
Score My Smoothie
I made this smoothie last week for lunch. It had lots of nutritious ingredients, so I wanted to see how they scored on the NuVal scale. My Blueberry-Quinoa smoothie, which was delicious, nutritious, and incredibly satisfying.
In the mix:
- 1 frozen banana (NuVal score: 91)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (NuVal score: 100)
- 1 1/4 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Organic Non-Dairy Beverage (NuVal score: 90)
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa (NuVal score: 91)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal (NuVal score: 100)
Check out those high scores! That’s a pretty rocking smoothie, huh?
This recipe for homemade granola bars was submitted to our BLEND Facebook page by Emily Dowrak who graciously agreed to let us share it with you on our blog. If you have a healthy recipe your family loves, please share it with us! We mixed up a batch of these granola bars so we could give it a try and include some photos.
A couple variations were made: pure almond extract rather than vanilla and 1 tsp ground flax seed was added. When I remake this recipe, I would leave out the brown sugar, as they are plenty sweet. These chewy granola bars are very good, were easy to make, and store for weeks in the refrigerator. Read more
- 1/3 c. lowfat cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp. dill weed
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- Prepared vegetable sticks (carrots, celery, green peppers, cucumbers)
- Unsalted peanuts
- Carob or semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- Bran Chex
- Sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1/2 c. low fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 c. chopped dates or raisins
Mix peanut butter and low fat cream cheese. Add honey and dates or raisins. Put in covered container and refrigerate. Spread on your favorite whole grain bread or muffin. HINT: Soften cream cheese for mixing by removing it from refrigerator 15 minutes before preparing recipe. Makes 10 servings per bowl.