Walk-At-School is a movement BLEND supports to encourage schools to promote physical activity in and out of the classroom -encompassing walking to and from school, walking during school, and walk-a-thon fundraisers. In addition to promoting physical activity, the Walk-At-School walk-a-thon fundraising model is also aimed at helping schools make a positive contribution to children’s health by choosing active fundraisers rather than the sale of unhealthy food products.
Walk-At-School falls directly in line with the commitment of BLEND to engage community members and decision makers in discussions about ways to create environments that sustainably supports active living. The BLEND coalition is committed to increasing physical activity in and around our communities by supporting programs like Walk-At-School, Complete Streets and Safe Routes to School in an effort to ensure that all children have the opportunity to live healthy, active lifestyles.
Walk-At-School Healthy, Active Fundraising
BLEND has developed a Walk-At-School guidebook to provide schools and organizations the information they need to make walk-a-thon fundraising events successful and easy to organize. This guide provides direction in committee development, volunteer recruitment, event operations and promotions.
Why Walk-At-School Healthy, Active Fundraising?
- No upfront costs or contracts.
- No more delivering of goods.
- Generates profits without selling products.
- 100% of funds stay at your school or organization.
- Increases student participation.
- Promotes physical activity.
- Support healthy foods.
Walk-At-School Success Stories
Walk-At-School healthy fundraising has proven to be wildly successful for local schools in the Central MN area. In fact, schools have exceeded fundraising goals and are already planning their next healthy, active fundraisers for the 2012-13 school year. Area schools participating in 2012-13 Walk-At-School include:
- September 21, 2012 – Westwood Elementary School, St. Cloud, MN
- September 28, 2012 – South Junior High, St. Cloud, MN
- September 28, 2012 – Discovery Elementary School, St. Cloud, MN
- September 28, 2012 – Pine Meadow ElementarySchool, Sartell, MN
- September 28, 2012 – Oak Ridge Elementary School, Sartell, MN
- September 28, 2012 – Rocori Middle and High Schools, Cold Spring, MN
- October 6, 2012 – Sacred Heart School, Freeport, MN. Learn more about the Sacred Heart event, here!
- October 12, 2012 – North Junior High, St. Cloud, MN
- October 17, 2012 – Madison Elementary School, St. Cloud, MN
- Spring 2013 – Lincoln Elementary School, St. Cloud, MN
- Spring 2013 – Talahi Elementary School, St. Cloud, MN
- Spring 2013 – Kennedy Community School, St. Joseph, MN
- June 2013 – Stride Academy Elementary and Middle Schools, St. Cloud, MN
How to Get Started?
Talk to your school or PTA/PTO committee about hosting a walk-a-thon fundraiser, complete the form below to view an excerpt of the guidebook, or contact BLEND staff. BLEND is available to provide assistance, best practices and resource materials to schools and organizations interested in planning a healthy fundraiser
If you have any questions about how to get a walk-a-thon started at your school, please contact BLEND at 320-251-5199 ext. 71206 or email at email@example.com.
How to Create School Environments that Sustainably Supports Healthy Lifestyles?
Healthy Fundraising Policy! Healthy fundraising policies ensures that students have access to food that meets their nutrient requirements to promote health and foster learning. It also sends a positive message about the importance of physical activity. Learn more!
Walk-At-School was supported and funded in part by Benton County SHIP in 2010-11
SHIP focuses on creating community, school, workplace and
health care environments that support healthy behaviors.