Letter to Clinicians
- Partner Organizations
- American Heart Association
- Benton County Human Services
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Minnesota
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Minnesota
- Catholic Charities
- CentraCare Clinic
- CentraCare Health Foundation
- Central Minnesota Council-Boy Scouts of America
- Central Minnesota Sexual Assault Center
- Child Care Choices
- City of St. Cloud Recreation Department
- Coborn’s, Inc.
- College of Saint Benedict
- Girl Scouts – Waite Park Regional Center
- Gold’s Gym
- Great River Federal Credit Union
- HealthPartners Central Minnesota Clinics
- Holdingford Public Schools
- North Crest Gymnastic, Dance & Cheer
- Rocori Public Schools
- St. Cloud School District – ISD 742
- Sartell – St. Stephen Schools
- Saint John’s University
- Sauk Rapids – Rice Schools
- St. Cloud Area Family YMCA
- St. Cloud Christian School
- St. Cloud Community Education
- St. Cloud Hospital
- St. Cloud Medical Group
- St. Cloud State University
- Stearns County Human Services
- University of Minnesota Extension
- United Way of Central Minnesota
- Williams Integracare Clinic
Dear Health Care Provider:
BLEND’s medical committee, comprised of physicians from CentraCare Clinic, St. Cloud Medical Group, HealthPartners Central Minnesota Clinics and Williams Integracare Clinic, has developed an algorithm to help area providers address the issue of childhood obesity. We are pleased to share this algorithm with you, which is intended to provide practical support and guidance in addressing childhood obesity.
The information included has been gathered from a variety of sources and demonstrates current clinical consensus on the treatment of obesity in children. We will continue to update these tools as standards of care evolve.
The first step in addressing obesity in children is to track a child’s BMI. BLEND encourages tracking of patients’ BMIs on a regular basis. When a child is found to be overweight or obese you are urged to go one step further and implement this algorithm. The tools included will provide you with guidance in addressing recommended screenings, treatment plans, readiness to change and follow-up visits.
The second piece of our medical intervention is the development of our prescription pads for healthy living. Enclosed is a sample for your practice and a complementary piece for the patient explaining the 5-2-1-0 concept. BLEND, in partnership with the Stearns County Statewide Health Improvement Plan leadership team, would like to provide you with these tools for use in your practice. A member of our staff will be contacting you in the upcoming weeks to determine how many copies of each would best meet your needs.
We hope you are able to incorporate these tools into your practice and find them to be effective in addressing the issue of childhood obesity.
Please contact me or Jodi Rohe directly if you have any questions on the use of the algorithm or the prescription pad, or for more details about BLEND:
David Smith MD, BLEND Medical Committee
St. Cloud Medical Group
Jodi Gertken, BLEND Coordinator
Care Health Foundation
320-251-2700, ext. 71205